Chef and author of "Fair Foods," George Geary is preparing a fair favorite with homemade brine solution and basting sauce.
Ingredients for Brine Solution
- 4 Qt. Cold Water
- 1 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Tarragon
Ingredients for Turkey Legs
- 4 Large Turkey Legs
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- Sea Salt To Taste Freshly Ground Pepper To Taste
Ingredients for Basting Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- Whisk water, salt, brown sugar, and tarragon together in a large container. Submerge turkey legs, weighing them down with a heavy plate if you need to. Let soak for a minimum of 4 hours and no longer than 24 hours.
- One hour prior to cooking, remove legs and pat dry with paper towels. Rub legs with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook legs on a high-heat grill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the legs are cooking, make the sauce: In a bowl, combine honey, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine vinegar. Brush on turkey legs during the last 10 minutes of grilling.
- When done, transfer legs from the grill to a platter or plate and cover with foil. Allow to rest about 10 to 15 minutes.