1. Soak Black Eye Peas overnight.
2. Cover in a wide pot with at least 6 inches of water and place 1 jalapeno split in the pot. SLOWLY over a low flame, bring to a simmer, cook an additional 20 minutes then begin checking beans.
3. When slightly under cooked, pull off heat, salt the water (to a point the water tastes a bit too salty, like the ocean), gently stir and allow to sit at room temp till cooked though.
4. Once cooked, add ice to the water till the beans are cool, then GENTLY strain and rinse till water runs clear.
5. Toss everything together with the beans; allow to sit for 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.