Ingredients for Ribbon Sandwiches
- 4 carrots, steamed and smashed with salt and pepper
- 1 large red beet, boiled, cooled and smashed with salt and pepper
- 1 batch of pesto (ingredients below)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of basil leaves
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1/4- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Cashew Cheese, Arugula and Cranberry Tea Sandwiches
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- 1 batch of cashew cheese (ingredients below)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. Filtered water
- ½ tsp. Sea salt
Ingredients for Cucumber Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 8 red grapes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cup flour (if making gluten free, I like Hodgson Mills or Glutino mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp. water, let sit 5 minutes)
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional. I like walnuts and pecans)
Directions for Pesto
Place the basil and spinach in the food processor topped with the garlic and nuts. Pulse a few times to break them down a bit. Add in the zest from the lemon and all the lemon juice. Pulse again and then drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto is smooth.
Assembly for Ribbon Sandwiches
1) Margarine, room temperature (Earth Balance spreads best)
2) 4 slices of bread
Directions for Ribbon Sandwiches
1) To assemble, Lay 4 slices of bread out. Butter all the slices with the margarine. Spread one of each of the topping on one slice of bread.
2) Stack them starting with the pesto, then beet, then carrot. Top with the remaining slice of bread. Cut the crust off the bread and then cut into 2 or 4 triangles.
Directions for Cashew Cheese
Place the cashews in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove the lid and let boil for 8 minutes. Drain and rinse. Place cashews in a blender pitcher with the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy.
Assembly for Cashew Cheese, Arugula and Cranberry Tea Sandwiches
Assemble the sandwich by spreading one side of bread with the cranberry sauce and the other with the cashew cheese spread. Add a handful of arugula in the middle and press slices together. Trip crust off and cut into 2 or 4 triangles.
Bread I recommend for sandwiches: https://thrivemarket.com/p/schar-artisan-baker-white-bread or https://www.amazon.com/Katz-Gluten-Free-Bread-Ounce/dp/B00KABUWF2
Directions for Cucumber Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
Half smash the chickpeas with a fork then combine well with all the other ingredients. Sandwich between two slices of cucumber.
1. Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a hand mixer. Mix in the vanilla extract and flax eggs.
4. Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
5. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on to a cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes.
6. Cool on baking racks and enjoy!