For Ribbon Sandwiches
- 4 carrots, steamed and smashed with salt and pepper
- 1 large red beet, boiled, cooled and smashed with salt and pepper
- 1 batch of pesto (ingredients below)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of basil leaves
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1/4- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For Cashew Cheese, Arugula and Cranberry Tea Sandwiches
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- 1 batch of cashew cheese (ingredients below)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. Filtered water
- ½ tsp. Sea salt
For Cucumber Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 8 red grapes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cup flour (if making gluten free, I like Hodgson Mills or Glutino mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp. water, let sit 5 minutes)
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional. I like walnuts and pecans)
- Place the basil and spinach in the food processor topped with the garlic and nuts. Pulse a few times to break them down a bit. Add in the zest from the lemon and all the lemon juice. Pulse again and then drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto is smooth.
- Margarine, room temperature (Earth Balance spreads best)
- 4 slices of bread
- To assemble, Lay 4 slices of bread out. Butter all the slices with the margarine. Spread one of each of the topping on one slice of bread.
- Stack them starting with the pesto, then beet, then carrot. Top with the remaining slice of bread. Cut the crust off the bread and then cut into 2 or 4 triangles.
Cashew Cheese Spread
- Place the cashews in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove the lid and let boil for 8 minutes. Drain and rinse. Place cashews in a blender pitcher with the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy.
Cashew Cheese, Arugula and Cranberry Tea Sandwiches
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading one side of bread with the cranberry sauce and the other with the cashew cheese spread. Add a handful of arugula in the middle and press slices together. Trip crust off and cut into 2 or 4 triangles.
Bread I recommend for sandwiches: https://thrivemarket.com/p/schar-artisan-baker-white-bread or https://www.amazon.com/Katz-Gluten-Free-Bread-Ounce/dp/B00KABUWF2
Cucumber Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Half smash the chickpeas with a fork then combine well with all the other ingredients. Sandwich between two slices of cucumber.
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a hand mixer. Mix in the vanilla extract and flax eggs.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on to a cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes.
- Cool on baking racks and enjoy!