- 6 large jalapeño peppers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup refrigerated fully cooked barbecued shredded pork (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup barbeque sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 3 teaspoons of paprika
- 12 ounces of beer
- White barbeque sauce, optional
Prep: 35 minutes; Cook: 5 minutes/batch; Makes: 6 servings
1. Cut off stem end of jalapeños. Using the tip of a small knife, remove seeds and membrane. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add the jalapeños; cook, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat completely dry.
2. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375° F. In a small bowl, mix pork, cheese, and barbecue sauce; spoon into jalapeños. In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, and paprika; stir in beer just until moistened. 3. Using tongs, dip stuffed jalapeños into batter; fry in batches 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with white barbecue sauce. For more with "American Idol" winner Taylor Hicks, visit www.taylorhicks.com. If you find yourself in Birmingham, Alabama, check out Taylor's restuarant Saw's Juke Joint for great barbeque fare.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.