This “Taste of Home” recipe was submitted by Melissa Beyer – Utica, NY
Ingredients for Chowder:
- 3 tablespoons plus ¼ cup butter, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-½ cups 2% milk
- 1 pound haddock fillets, skin removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup lump crabmeat (about 5 ounces), drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Ingredients for Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ⅔ cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions for chowder:
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 25 min.
Yield: 10 servings
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in cream and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in haddock, shrimp, peas and sautéed mushrooms; cook 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork and shrimp turn pink. Add cheese, crab and pimientos; stir gently until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with paprika. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Directions for biscuits:
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat dough into a 10x4-in. rectangle. Cut rectangle lengthwise in half; cut crosswise to make ten squares.
- Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet; brush tops with egg. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.