Tamera Mowry-Housley is dishing up a one-pot Mac & Cheese recipe that is so delicious you will never reach for a box again. This homemade dish is super easy to make and a great way to cut down on preservatives.
Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1-pound dried macaroni
- 1 ½ cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons ap flour
- 2-3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Optional stir-ins (all cooked before adding): ham & peas, mushrooms & sausages, bacon & broccoli
Tamera Makes Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente, 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk ½ cup milk with flour until completely dissolved and set aside. Heat remaining milk in large saucepan over medium heat. Do not let milk boil. Just as milk begins to steam, whisk in the milk-flour mixture. Continue whisking or stirring until liquid thickens to the consistency of heavy cream, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add cheddar cheese to saucepan, one handful at a time. Stir to combine with milk
- Add onion and mustard powders to cheese sauce, stir to combine. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings with salt and white pepper.
- Place cooked pasta in large serving/mixing bowl. Add ½ cheese sauce and stir to combine. Stir in any mix-ins you’ve chosen, then add as much of the remaining cheese sauce as you like. If sauce is too thick, stir in milk one tablespoon at a time.
Recipe by Dan Kohler