Ingredients for Brisket
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 (4-pound) brisket
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Ingredients for Crispy Potato Stacks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 2½ pounds), with peel, washed well
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt, for garnish
Directions for Brisket
1.Place onion slices into a large roasting pan. Set aside.
2.In a small bowl, combine garlic, basil, paprika, salt and olive oil to make a paste. Rub mixture all over brisket.
3.In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Sear brisket on both sides, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Place brisket over onions in roasting pan.
4.In a small bowl, combine jam, wine, and lemon juice. Pour over brisket and onions. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5.Preheat oven to 325˚F. Roast brisket, covered, for 3 hours.
6.Cool; slice against the grain and serve.
Even though first cut brisket is considered by many to be of higher quality, I prefer second cut, which has more marbling, yielding a juicier and softer roast.
Directions for Potato Stacks
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and
3) Use a mandolin or a sharp knife to thinly slice the potatoes. Add potato slices to oil mixture; toss to coat evenly.
4) Stack potatoes in towers of 6-8 slices on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes,
until the tops are golden brown and the centers of the potato stacks are tender.
5) Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt before serving.
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterset Page