Sweet Potato French Toast
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup sweet potato puree
- 2 Tbsp confection sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 10 slices Texas toast (or other white bread such as Challah or French bread)
- Sea salt butter for griddle
- Best served top with sea salt butter, warm maple syrup and Brown Sugar Candied Bacon and for a holiday treat, add a dollop of cranberry-pecan chutney.
- 1 cup apple cider
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) package fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¾ cup dried apricots, diced
- ½ tsp loosely packed orange or lemon zest
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
Brown Sugar Candied Bacon
- 1lb applewood-smoked bacon slices or thick cut bacon slices
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
Directions for French Toast
Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees (a non-stick skillet set over medium heat also works fine). In a mixing bowl whisk together milk, sweet potato puree, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until well combined. Pour into a shallow dish.
Butter griddle and dip bread into egg mixture (allowing a few seconds for it to absorb mixture. I also squeeze gently to soak the mixture to center), then rotate and coat opposite side. Transfer to griddle and cook until golden brown on bottom, then lift, butter griddle once more and flip French toast to opposite side and cook until golden brown. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Directions for Chutney
Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10-12 minutes. Remove cloves with a slotted spoon, and discard.
Add cranberries; increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or just until cranberries begins to blossom. Stir in apricots and orange or lemon zest; remove from heat. Cool completely. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 days. Stir in pecans just before serving.
Directions for Candied Bacon
Position 1 rack in top third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place large rack on lined baking sheet. Arranged bacon slices in single layer on rack. Whisk brown sugar and butter. Brush bacon with sugar and butter blend. Bake until bacon is crisp and glazed, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and serve.