Ingredients for the Grits
- 2 ½ – 3 cups A2 Milk® Whole
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grits, not instant (like Bob Red Mill’s Southern-Style White Grits)
- 1 Tbsp butter or ghee
- Pinch salt
Ingredients for the Shrimp and Eggs
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 scallions sliced, for garnish
Ingredients for the Greens
- 6 cups chopped greens such as kale, baby kale, or chard
- 2 Tbsp oil of choice or ghee
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. In a heavy-bottom, medium saucepan, bring 2 ½ cups a2 Milk® and water to a simmer. Once simmering, slowly whisk in grits. Continue whisking for another 30 seconds to avoid clumping. Allow the grits to come back to a gentle bubble, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until the grits are tender and creamy, adding more milk, a ¼ cup at a time if the grits dry out too much while cooking. To finish, stir in butter and salt to taste.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic greens. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the chopped greens and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with red pepper flakes and salt to taste and dress with lemon juice. Set greens aside and keep warm.
3. In the same skillet, cook the shrimp. First toss the shrimp, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, dried thyme, dried oregano, and salt in a small bowl and coat shrimp with the spices. Bring the skillet to medium-high heat, add another tablespoon oil and cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through.
4. Finally, cook your eggs as desired. Either frying with a bit of oil in a non-stick pan until the whites set and the yolk is still runny. Or poach your eggs by bringing water to a simmer in a small pot, then reduce heat, and gently slip eggs into the hot water, cooking two at a time until desired doneness.
5. To serve, fill shallow bowls with grits, top with garlicky greens, shrimp, and crown the dish with a delicious egg! Garnish with scallions, if desired.