- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm silken tofu, drained
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 (8-ounce) jars sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 vegan Italian sausage links (such as Field Roast; about ½ pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded vegan mozzarella (such as Follow Your Heart)
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish wish oil.
2. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the
onion and the garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer about half the onion mixture to a
small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining
onion mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, 5
minutes. Return the onion mixture to the work bowl of the food processor and add the tofu,
the 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Process until
smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Transfer the tofu mixture
to a medium bowl and set aside.
5. Rinse out the work bowl and return it to the food processor. Put the tomatoes, basil, and
remaining ¼ cup nutritional yeast in the work bowl and pulse until the tomatoes are finely
chopped. Transfer the tomato mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
6. Without rinsing out the work bowl, add the sausage and pulse until finely chopped.
7. In the same skillet you used for the onion, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over
medium-high heat. Add half the remaining raw onion mixture and the sausage. Cook, stirring
occasionally, until the sausage is browned and slightly crispy, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the
sausage mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
8. In the same skillet, combine the remaining raw onion mixture, the asparagus, water,
pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the
asparagus is bright green and tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
9. To assemble the lasagna, spread a small amount of the tomato mixture over the bottom of
the baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles side by side over the tomato layer and top with
thin layers of the following: one-third of the tofu mixture, half the sausage, half the asparagus,
one-third of the tomato mixture, and ½ cup of the cheese. Repeat in the same order to form a
second layer of each ingredient. Top with the remaining 4 noodles, followed by the remaining
tofu mixture, tomato mixture, and cheese. Dot the top of the lasagna with the buttery spread.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, uncovered, before serving.