Ingredients for White Bean Turkey Chili
- 2-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 3/4-teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds ground white meat or dark meat turkey
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese, for serving
DIrections for Cornbread
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
Directions for Chili
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, fennel, garlic, and chilies and cook until the onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and cayenne, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the broth. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and reduce heat to a simmer; cook until chili is thickened slightly, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Stir in beans and cornmeal and cook 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve with cheese, lime wedges, and a side of cornbread.
Directions for Cornbread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13 inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk; whisk in melted butter. Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture just until moistened.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan at least 15 minutes before slicing.