This is a spin on the classic Eton mess, which is a popular dessert where I’m from. A mixture of cream, meringue, and fruit, it’s painless to prepare. Berries are my choice of fruit, but feel free to change this up to your own whims and taste.
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao)
- 4 cups lightly crushed store-bought meringues
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed, stems removed, and halved
- 1 cup raspberries, rinsed
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- In a heavy saucepan, heat ½ cup of the cream on low until a light simmer. Turn off heat. In a heatproof bowl, pour cream over chocolate. Stir together, set aside, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whip remaining 1½ cups cream to form soft peaks. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup crushed meringues into each of 4 serving bowls or small mason jars or martini glasses.
- Sprinkle with the berries of choice, then drizzle with chocolate. Top each with remaining meringue, berries, chocolate sauce, and finally whipped cream.
- Top with chopped pistachios.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON STUART O’KEEFFE:
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.