Stuart O’Keeffe has a delish side dish that may be the surprise stand out of your festive feast.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Sage Mushroom Gravy
Dinner, Side Dish
1 hour 45 minutes
Stuart O’Keeffe - Whole Roasted Cauliflower - Home & Family
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- ½ stick melted unsalted butter, divided
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bulb garlic, sliced in half crosswise
- 1 bunch leaves fresh sage
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place cauliflower in an oven-safe dish lined with kitchen foil. Brush with melted butter all over and season with salt and pepper. Place the rest of the ingredients in around the cauliflower. Place in the oven for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Brushing with more melted butter around halfway through.
- Gravy: Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Melt butter and add onion and cook until softened. About 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir. Cook mushrooms until they are golden brown, about 4-6 minutes. Stir in garlic. Add flour and stir, whisk in about 2 cups of vegetable stock and let simmer until sauce has thickened. If you need a thinner sauce, add more stock.
- Remove Cauliflower from the oven and place on a large white dish. Dress with extra fresh sage and thyme sprigs and the roasted garlic bulb halves. Cut into quarters and serve with the gravy. Enjoy!