- 3 lb. boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 large russett potatoes, washed and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) Toss the beef with the flour, salt and pepper to coat evenly in a bowl. Set an electric pressure cooker to “brown/saute" and heat the canola oil. Brown half the beef on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining beef.
3) Add the wine to the pressure cooker and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Add the beef, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, peas, tomato paste, stock and thyme and stir to combine. Cover and cook on "high" for 25 minutes.
4) Release the pressure. (If the liquid is too thin, transfer the beef and vegetables to a baking dish, set the pressure cooker to "brown" and cook until the liquid is reduced to the desired consistency) Pour the liquid over the beef and vegetables in a 2 quart baking dish.
5) Top with potatoes, overlapping slices. Season potatoes with salt and pepper and brush with butter. Bake until potatoes are browned around edges and tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page