- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ pound spicy Italian sausages, casings removed (I like the spiciest kind)
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced San Marzano tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or casserole over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, breaking sausage up in the pan with a wooden spoon as you cook. Remove sausage and set aside.
2. Add the rice to the pot and stir. Add broth, turmeric and chili flakes and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the peas and the corn along with the tomatoes and thyme.
4. Add the cooked sausage, cover the pot and bring all back to a simmer for another 8 to 10 minutes. Add shrimp for the last 4 minutes, Season with salt and pepper and stir.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
6. Place the pot in the middle of the table with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves.