Ingredients for the Cake
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup organic whole milk vanilla yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5-6 strawberries, cut into quarters
- loaf, cake or bundt pan
- whipped cream with maple syrup and orange zest for serving (optional)
Ingredients for the Vanilla Bean Cafe Au Lait
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2-3 tablespoons vanilla simple syrup
- 2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- whipped cream (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
Ingredients for the Simple Syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat your baking pan with a bit of olive oil, and if you have the time, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk.
4. In another medium bowl combine 1 cup sugar and orange zest, use your hands to incorporate the zest into the sugar.
5. Add orange juice, yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Scrape all the goodness out of the insides of vanilla bean and add that to the party.
7. Mix until well combined.
8. Gently stir dry ingredients into wet.
9. Once the ingredients look fully incorporated add the olive oil and gently fold it in.
10. Line the baking pan with the strawberries.
11. Pour batter into baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
12. Cool for 20 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter for added drama.
13. If you’d like this would be a great time to whip up some cream or serve with extra strawberries and powdered sugar.
Café Au Lait
1. Combine your desired amount of sugar with the milk into a small pot (if you just made your simple syrup you can use that pot without cleaning it before use)
2. Heat it up until it’s really hot but hasn’t yet boiled
3. If you have a large teapot, chemex, coffee pot or French press you can also combine the milk and coffee before serving and let everyone pour their own, which is what I like to do
4. Or, if you’d like to serve it in individual cups, pour ½ cup of coffee and ½ cup of vanilla milk into each cup and top with whipped cream and cinnamon (if desired)
1. In a small pot combine the sugar and the vanilla bean.
2. To ensure maximum vanilla flavor, open up the bean, scrape out the seeds and add the seeds and vanilla bean both to the sugar.
3. Rub the sugar between your hands well to incorporate the vanilla into the sugar.
4. Add water and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
5. Boil until all the sugar is dissolved.
6. Transfer to a small container and keep in your fridge until it’s all used up.