Chef Danielle Kartes is making an easy snack with real berries.
Strawberry Jam and Chocolate Rolls
- 3 cups AP flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 cup warm milk (no more than 115 degrees)
- 2 tsp quick yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. soft salted butter plus more for the pan
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped good quality dark chocolate
TO PREPARE THE DOUGH
- In your Stand mixer combine all ingredients and mix on low with a dough hook until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 15 minutes. Or until a supple soft dough forms. Let rest and rise inside a covered bowl in a warm area for 40-60 minutes. Dough should have doubled in size. *Alternately, you can also use the dough setting on your automatic bread machine. *To do the entire process by hand simply skip the stand mixer and mix dough by hand, this method works great and is excellent therapy :)
- Liberally butter the 9 by 13 glass baking dish.
- Roll the dough into a 12 by 16 rectangle.
- Spread the melted butter across the entire surface of the rectangle and repeat the same process with the jam. Sprinkle chopped chocolate over the jam and tightly roll the dough away from you. Slice into 12 even rolls and place rolls into the buttered glass baking dish. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake rolls after the second rise at 350 degrees f for 35-45 minutes. To serve, dust with powdered sugar or drizzle melted chocolate over top.