Ingredients for Pies
- 4 - store bought refrigerated pie crusts (2 boxes)
- 3/4 cups strawberry citrus jam (recipe below) or strawberry jam
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- Sprinkles, optional
- White Chocolate, melted
- *Special tools: 5” cookie cutter
Ingredients for Homemade Strawberry Citrus Jam
- 2 heaping cups fresh organic strawberries, hulled and rinsed
- Juice from 2 Cara Cara Oranges
Directions for Pies
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove pie crusts from packaging and use a rolling pin to flatten.
2. Using a 5” heart cookie cutter, cut out 12 hearts. Place 1 tablespoon of jam in center of 12 hearts. Make an egg wash by cracking an egg into a bowl and adding 1 tablespoon of water and whisk. Brush egg wash on exposed crust around jam.
3. Top jam filled hearts with remaining pie crusts and press. Using a fork, prick edges to seal and brush tops of hearts with remaining egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
4. While pies are baking, make glaze. For glaze: whisk together powdered sugar, zest and blood orange juice.
5. Once pies are baked and cooled, top with glaze and decorate with sprinkles. Optionally, add messages on top of pies using melted white chocolate.
Directions for Homemade Jam
1. Place berries and juice in stainless steel pot and bring to a full boil, mashing the berries with a wooden spoon.
2. Boil for 1 minute on high heat, stirring constantly.
3. Add sugar and continue to boil for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Store in mason jar in refrigerator and enjoy!