Ingredients for All-Butter Pie Crust
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 stick of butter – unsalted, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for Sticky Toffee Pudding Pie with Rum Glaze (Serves 8)
- Pie dough
- ¾ pound dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
Ingredients for Rum Glaze
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp good rum
Directions for Dough
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter in food processor
2. Pulse mixture until butter is the size of tiny peas
3. Then add water and turn on the food processor and process until dough ball forms. Chill dough for 1 hour
4. Then roll and pre-bake.
Directions for Pie
1. Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch round pie plate and flute; prebake dough
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
3. Bring the dates and water to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once boiling, allow to simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in baking soda. Set aside.
4. In a mixer, cream butter and sugar together on high until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, slowly add eggs, 1 at a time, then add vanilla. Slowly add the flour and salt. Then slowly add the dates and cooking liquid. Once well-combined, add the baking powder and stir by hand. Pour the batter into the pie crust. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. Once it’s out of the oven, poke holes all over the pie with a dinner fork. Pour ¾ of the glaze over the pie while it’s still warm and allow to absorb for 30 minutes. Reserve remaining glaze and heat just before serving. Drizzle warm glaze over each slice of pie.
Directions for Glaze
1. Combine the butter, brown sugar, cream and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Set aside.