Debbie Matenopoulos is making a refreshing salad with yellow squash, zucchini and sunflower seeds.
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 8 baby pattypan squash, yellow and green
- 6 squash blossoms, halves or quartered if large
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halves
- 6 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. roasted sunflower seeds
- Young watercress
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 tbsp. chopped tarragon
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Summer Squash Salad - Home & Family
- Remove the ricotta cheese from its container and place into a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Allow some of the excess liquid to drip off until the cheese has a slightly dryer texture.
- Use a mandoline or very sharp knife and slice the zucchini and squash into long, very thin strips. Next, slice the pattypan squash into thin discs using the same method.
- Combine the lemon juice, shallot, tarragon and Dijon mustard in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until completely emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the squash, squash blossoms and tomatoes with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arrange on a large platter or individual plates. Dollop some of the ricotta cheese throughout the salad and finish with the sunflower seeds and watercress. Drizzle more dressing over if desired.