Directions for Soup
1. Put the vegetable stock and shallot in a sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the peas (if using frozen peas, thaw first), spinach, and mint leaves and cook until the peas are tender, about 1 minute.
3. Remove soup from heat and puree in three to four batches in a high-speed blender or food processor, adding 5 ice cubes t0 each batch.
4. Whisk in creme fraiche. Strain the soup through a fine-mesh strainer.
5. Season with salt, white pepper, and sugar.
6. The soup can be prepared a few hours ahead and refrigerated; it is best served the day it is made.
DIrections for Salad
1. Cook shrimp in a pot of boiling water until pink, about 3 minutes.
2. Let cool slightly, remove the shells and devein.
3. Slice shrimp into ½ inch pieces.
4. Combine shrimp pieces with red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and togarashi.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Refrigerate until serving time; this salad can be prepared earlier in the day.
- Divide the shrimp salad between four soup bowls and top with mint sprigs.
- Bring the bowls to the table and pour the soup over the shrimp. To look like a pro, pour the soup from a decorative pot, maybe a teapot.