Ingredients for Bacon
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- Maple syrup
Ingredients for Cake Layers
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup bacon grease – reserved (if you don’t want to use bacon, add another stick of unsalted butter)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 6 TB (3oz) maple syrup
- 6 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp maple extract
Directions for Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TB apple cider
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 3 TB maple syrup
Directions for Bacon
Preheat oven to 350. Place a wire cooling rack in the middle of a sheet pan and lay out bacon slices evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, and turn slices over. Brush with maple syrup and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes until slices are evenly browned. Remove from oven, let cool on racks. Reserve ½ cup bacon grease for the cake and a little more to grease the cake pans.
Directions for the Cake
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
2) Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices and set aside.
3) Place softened butter and bacon grease in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix until smooth and fluffy. Add in the white sugar and brown sugar and increase speed to medium-high. Continue to mix for about 3-5 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
4) Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, applesauce and sour cream. With the mixer on medium-low, add in slowly. Once incorporated, stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
5) With the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low for 30 seconds or until combined. Do not overbeat.
6) Evenly distribute the batter between the two pans. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans. Let cool completely before assembling cake.
Directions for Frosting
Into the bowl of your mixture, using a paddle attachment add the softened butter, maple syrup and vanilla and maple extracts and beat until fluffy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until combined. Beat on high until fluffy, and if very stiff, add a bit more maple syrup.
Directions to Make the Glaze
Whisk all ingredients in a bowl until lumps are gone and glaze is smooth.
Frost and stack cooled cake layers and frost the outside. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Roughly chop bacon and press into the sides of the cake. Reserve ¼ c. bacon to sprinkle on top. Chill the cake for an hour. Pour glaze over the top of the chilled cake, spreading gently to the edges to the glaze drips down the sides. Sprinkle reserved bacon on top. Bon Appetit!
Get more informaton about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page