These are soft, warm, tender pieces of your past. They aren’t sweet like a sugar cookie. They are the perfect amount of sweetness to encourage you to eat three or four in one sitting. The middle is always soft and the edges never brown.
1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extract as well as the lemon zest.
3. Stir in the milk.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add that to the wet ingredients in increments. The dough will be stickier than traditional cookie dough. DON’T FRET!
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Chill the dough for at least two hours. If you don’t, the cookies will melt into a glob in the oven.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes. When you remove them from the oven they will look slightly underdone and smooth on the top. Let them cool on a baking rack if available.