Food & Lifestyle Blogger Marissa Allen shows you how to serve up some sweet summer treats for those hot summer days.
- 4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 C Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp of lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Southern Tea Cakes - Home & Family
- These are soft, warm, tender pieces of your past. They aren’t sweet like a sugar cookie. They are the perfect amount of sweetness to encourage you to eat three or four in one sitting. The middle is always soft and the edges never brown.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extract as well as the lemon zest.
- Stir in the milk.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add that to the wet ingredients in increments. The dough will be stickier than traditional cookie dough. DON’T FRET!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Chill the dough for at least two hours. If you don’t, the cookies will melt into a glob in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. When you remove them from the oven they will look slightly underdone and smooth on the top. Let them cool on a baking rack if available.