Mushrooms, tomatoes, and red wine make a savory, chunky sauce for braised chicken in this classic dish. Serve it with a side of roasted garlic mashed potatoes for a hearty dinner.
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat with flour, patting off the excess.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown it lightly on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer it to a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.
4. Lower the heat to medium-low,and add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery to the pan; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Stir in the 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Stir in the wine and Glace de Poulet Gold and bring the mixture to a simmer stirring until the glace is dissolved.
6. Pour the wine/vegetable mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and their juices, and Herbes de Provence; stir to mix.
7. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
8. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Stir the tarragon into the sauce remaining in the slow cooker, and season it to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Pour the sauce over chicken to serve.
Get more of Cristina's wonderful resipies here: www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.