INGREDIENTS FOR PREPARATION - For Dough
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for the bowl
- 3 1/2 cups high-gluten flour
Ingredients for the Pizza
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ pound whole milk mozzarella, like Polly-O, cut or torn into 1 inch-sized pieces or cubes
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, torn into 1”-sized pieces
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- ¼ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2.25 cups (18 oz.) of pizza sauce
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- 1 16”x11" baking sheet or aluminum roasting pan
Directions for preparing the dough:
Directions for the Pizza Sauce:
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
NOTE: Get a can of Italian peeled plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, but California tomatoes are just as good. For one pizza, use a 20-ounce can. Pour the tomatoes in a bowl and smash them with your hand until they are the consistency of a chunky sauce. Add 3 pinches of salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Brush some olive oil on top of the dough along with 4 tablespoons of pizza sauce. Put the pan in the oven and cook for about 5 minutes until the dough gets golden brown on top.
3. Remove from the oven and distribute the two mozzarella cheeses on top as evenly as possible.
4. Then spread the sauce to cover the cheese. Cover with the Pecorino Romano and put the pizza back in the oven for 12 more minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven, top with the basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano, cut into desired amount of slices and serve hot.