“Keepers” by Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion
• ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, spread out onto a dish and put into the freezer until they start to firm up, about 15min
• ¼ Cup packed water chestnuts, rinsed, dried and roughly chopped • 1 Tsp finely chopped fresh ginger • 1 Scallion, sliced • ¼ Tbls Olive Oil • ¼ Tsp Salt • ⅛ Tsp pepper • 30 square white or yellow wonton wrappers Wonton Recipe:
- In a food processor, combine shrimp, water chestnuts, ginger and scallions and pulse until shrimp are finely chopped but not pureed.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Lay 3 wonton wrappers on a work surface (keeping the remaining wrappers covered with a damp cloth).
- Put a rounded teaspoon of the shrimp filling in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Dip your finger in some water and run it around the edges of each wrapper.
- Fold each wonton in half on the diagonal to for a triangle.
- Seal the edges, pressing out any excess air from around the filling.
- Curl and fold the two bottom-side corners back toward each other so they overlap and point upward, then moisten with water and press together.
- Refrigerate the wontons until needed.
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add the wonton so the boiling water in 2 batches, give them a quick stir.
- Cook for 3-4min until the wontons are just cooked through.
- Strain out of the water and add to bowls.
- Ladle hot soup over the wontons.
• 8 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 1-inch pieces of fresh ginger, smashed • 1 Garlic clove, smashed • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce • 1 Tablespoon sesame oil • Salt Soup Recipe:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, ginger and garlic and simmer for 10min.
- Discard the ginger and garlic.
- Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Check the seasonings, adding salt if needed.
- Cover and keep soup hot while cooking the wontons.
- Ladle the hot soup over the cooked wontons and enjoy!
Get your copy of "Keepers" at Amazon.com!