- 3 slices bacon
- 1 ½ pounds unpeeled, medium raw shrimp
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ tablespoon sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Cheese Grits Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fully cooked chorizo, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits or polenta
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions for the shrimp:
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from the skillet, crumble, and set aside. Leave the fat in the pan.
- Peel the shrimp and devein, if desired. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow bowl or plate and dredge the shrimp in it. Heat the skillet with the bacon fat over medium heat, add the shrimp and sauté in the fat until they turn pink; just a few minutes. Add the scallions and sauté another 2 minutes, remove from skillet, and set aside.
- In the same skillet you used for the shrimp, heat the olive oil, add the mushrooms and garlic, and sauté until they are caramelized. Return the cooked shrimp and the bacon to the skillet. Stir in the lime juice and chipotle sauce and cook 3 minutes more, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Set aside.
Directions for the grits:
- Combine the stock, heavy cream, chorizo, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in the grits.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the grits have thickened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, butter, and Parmesan, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Fabio’s new line of wines:
The Fabio Viviani Wine Collection is available nationwide at FabioVivianiWines.com, and will soon debut at regional retailers across the United States; new varietals will also be added to the collection throughout 2015. Follow the conversations online and #DrinkwithFabio!
Fabio's new cookbook, "Fabio's Italian Kitchen," is available at www.amazon.com. For more information on the chef and to subscribe to his newsletter, "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to www.fabioviviani.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.