BRAISED SHORT RIB WITH PRUNES DIRECTIONS:
1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper aggressively.
2. Heat Canola Oil and tallow in large Dutch Oven on High Heat. Brown Short ribs on all sides, a minute or so per side. Remove meat and reserve.
3. Add shallot and garlic, Cool until tender, deglazing pan with liquid from shallots.
4. Add soy sauces, vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar, sriracha and cinnamon to oven. Add browned short ribs. Add water until short ribs are covered, just barely. Put on cover, and simmer over very low heat, 3-3.5 hours or until tender.
5. Remove short ribs from pot. Stir in brandy and add prunes. Cool until soft and continue reducing sauce until sauce reaches “nape” consistency. Return short ribs to pot, baste with gravy. Serve warm.
YAMS AND ROASTED ONIONS DIRECTIONS:
1. Slice yams and onions into ¼ inch discs. Shingle yams and onions in a casserole dish in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper and bake at 350 degrees 35 min or until edges start to turn golden brown.
2. Pour vinegar over top yams and onions and return to oven additional 10 min or until yams are tender.
3. In the center of a shallow bowl or rimmed plate spoon one serving of yams and onions. Place short rib on top and spoon some gravy over top.