In honor of National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day, Sherry Yard is whipping up a Frozen Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Ice Cream with Gingersnap Cookie Crust
GINGERSNAP COOKIE CRUST:
- 180g / 1 ½ cup gingersnap, crushed
- 58g / ¼ cup light brown sugar (or dark brown is you like more molasses flavor)
- 2 tbsp / 25g sugar
- 75g / ⅓ cup butter, melted
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE ICE CREAM:
- 225g / 8 oz cream cheese
- 106g / ½ cups light brown sugar
- 50g / ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 113g / ½ cup sour cream
- 225g / 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 450g / 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp lemon juice
BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE:
- 225g / 1 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp. Cream of tartar
- 100g / ½ cup sugar
- 319g /1 ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 113g / 1/2 cup water
Sherry Yard Frozen Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie - Home & Family
GINGERSNAP COOKIE CRUST DIRECTIONS:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a 9” pie pan: spray with pan coating line with a circle of parchment paper. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl mix crushed gingersnap cookies, sugars, and butter until it looks like wet sand. If your cookies are on the drier side you might need a whisper more butter.
- Press the gingersnap cookies into the prepared shell.
- Use the back of a flat-sided cup measure to press crumbs in evenly.
GINGERSNAP COOKIE CRUST BAKE:
- 10 - 12 minutes until the crust is set.
- Cool completely before adding the pumpkin base.
- Once cool you can also place the cooled shell in the freezer to quicken the process!
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE ICE CREAM DIRECTIONS:
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, on medium speed paddle the cream cheese, sugars, spices, and salt for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down
- Paddle again smooth.
- Add the sour cream, pumpkin vanilla extract. Paddle to combine. Scrape down.
- Stream in heavy cream and lemon juice.
- Freeze according to manufacturer instructions.
*Pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Alternately, follow steps 1 - 4 then in a separate bowl whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Fold cream into pumpkin base. Pour into prepared shell.
BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE DIRECTIONS:
- In a bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whip attachment, add egg whites and whip on medium speed.
- While the meringue is whipping place the saucepan with the water and brown sugar on a medium flame. When the sugar reaches 235 degrees f remove from heat.
- When the whites begin to foam add in the cream of tartar and 1 tbsp. Granulated sugar.
- Continue to whip whites and add remaining granulated sugar – this will help the meringue from “burning out.”
- Hold the pot with the brown sugar syrup at an angle and gradually stream into the whipping whites, being careful not to stream onto the whip attachment.
- Once all the sugar is added, stop and scrape down.
- Continue to whip on high speed for 3 minutes until meringue reaches 120 degrees f.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with #4 or medium round piping tip.
*NOTE: Use meringue immediately.