Ingredients for the Seitan
- 1 ½ cups soy milk creamer
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (8-ounce) packages seitan chunks or strips
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for Coating
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon evaporated cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup neutral-tasting oil
Directions for Seitan
In a large bowl, combine creamer and vinegar. Set aside for 2 minutes to curdle. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add seitan pieces and toss to coat. Add sea salt and pepper. Set aside and let marinate 10 – 20 minutes.
Directions for Coating
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, mustard, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, and garlic powder. Remove and reserve ¼ cup flour mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk egg replacer and water until mixture is foamy.
In a small bowl, combine panko, remaining ¼ teaspoon sea salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. Add reserved ¼ cup seasoned flour mixture and whisk until uniform.
Directions for the "Chicken"
Add oil to a heavy skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
To coat seitan, dredge each piece of sietan in flour mixture, then dip into egg replacer mixture and finally coat in panko mixture. Shake off excess panko.
Carefully place coated seitan pieces into hot oil. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until golden. Turn over and cook about 2 additional minutes or until golden. Once crisp, place pieces on cooling rack over baking sheet. Serve warm.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page