Executive Chef of “The Lobster” Govind Armstrong shows you how easy it is to cook fish like a pro.
Seared Wild Salmon with Fried Potato and Artichoke Hash
- Meyer Lemon
- 4 T. EVOO
Meyer Lemon Caper Relish
- 4 ea. Meyer Lemon, Segmented and cut into 3rds
- Shallot (fine diced)
- 2 t. Chopped Thyme Leaves
- 2 T. Chives (Minced)
- ½ C. Yellow Celery Hearts Thinly Sliced
- 1 C. EVOO
- ½ C. Blend Oil
- ¼ t Chili Flakes
- 5 Ea. Anchovy Diced
- 1 Ea. Small Red Bell Pepper Brunoise
- 3 T. Rough Chopped Capers
- Black Pepper
Salmon and Potato
- 3 T. Grapeseed Oil or Canola
- 4 Ea. 7 Oz Wild Salmon Filet, Skin on, Pin Bones Removed
- 6 oz Artichoke Heart Lg Dice (par cooked)
- 8 oz Fingerling Potatoes Cut into ¼ in Rounds (par cooked)
- 2 oz Scallion, Sliced
- 6 oz Stock, Lobster, Vegetable or Chicken
- 8 oz Blue Lake Beans, Blanched and warmed in 1 T butter
- 3 T. Butter
- 2 ea Thyme sprig and peeled garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lemon
Recipe Courtesy Chef Govind Armstrong – TheLobster.com
FOR MEYER LEMON:
- Cut the ends off the lemon and use a vegetable peeler to carefully peel the zest from end to end.
- With a paring knife remove any remaining white pith.
- Thinly slice the zest horizontally and place the zest in a small pot with the extra virgin oil and steep on low for 30 minutes until softened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
FOR MEYER LEMON CAPER RELISH:
- Place all items in a mixing bowl, stir in poached zest and seasoned EVOO.
- Add a few turns of a pepper mill.
- Store in the refrigerator.
FOR SALMON AND POTATO:
- Begin by cooking the salmon.
- Season fish with salt and pepper, warm 1 ½ T oil to medium high heat and place fish flesh side down and cook for 1 minute. Gently turn salmon skin side down and cook for an additional 3 minutes. While the salmon is cooking you can start the hash.
- Over a medium high heat add 1 ½ T. of the remaining oil to a large saute pan. Add potatoes, artichoke hearts and pan fry until golden about 2 minutes and lightly season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with the stock reduce by half and swirl in 1 T. of butter. Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper & lemon juice, then stir in scallion.
- For the last minute of cook time for the salmon add butter, thyme sprig & garlic. Baste the salmon for 1 minute, reduce heat if your pan appears to be too hot. Turn range off and gently flip salmon to flesh side and begin to plate.
- Season green beans with salt & pepper, and place at 9 o’clock on your plate. Spoon hash in the center, straddle salmon, skin side up on beans and hash. Drizzle the plate with lemon relish and serve up the smiles!