For 12-15 Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 2 2/3 cup or 335 grams all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup or 75 grams cake flour
- 2 tsp or 10 grams baking soda
- 1 tsp or 4 grams baking powder
- 2 tsp or 6 grams sea salt
- 1 ½ T or 15 grams sugar
- 1 cup or 2 sticks salted, cultured butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 1 T milk
Ingredients for Freeze Dried Corn Butter
- 1/2# good butter such as Plugra, unsalted, brought to room temperature
- 6 ounces of freeze dried corn, ground
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
Sausage-Sage, Goat Cheese Butter
- ½# butter, unsalted such as Plugra, softened
- 3 ounces spreadable sausage such as Nduja, softened
- 2 ounces of chevre goat cheese
- 3 whole leaves of finely chopped fresh sage
- pinch of salt
For the Biscuits:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour mixture until pea sized crumbs and it is uniformly mixed. Make a well in center of mixture and pour in buttermilk. Stir together until it just forms a moist, slightly tacky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2 or 3 times, then pat out into a ¾” thick rectangle. Using a knife, cut the biscuits. Also can be cut into mini buscuits. To prevent sticking, dip the knife lightly in flour between biscuits. Do not reroll scraps. Pat them together and cut into rounds. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Generously brush egg wash on top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with large flake salt such as Maldon. Bake until brown 12-15 minutes.
*All ingredients, bowl and told should be cold.
For the Butter:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until incorporated. Place into any shape desired. Chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Get more recipes from Chef Casey Thompson at chefcaseythompson.com