Ingredients for Leek and Carrot Sauerkraut
- 1.5 lbs green cabbage
- 2 leeks, cleaned
- 1-2 carrots, scrubbed (unpeeled)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
Ingredients for Bratwursts with Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 pounds Bratwurst
- 2 White Onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cans Beer
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
Directions for Sauerkraut
Remove the outer leave of the cabbage and reserve. Shred on a mandolin, box grater or thinly slice and add to a large bowl. Thinly slice the leeks and shred the carrots, add to the cabbage. Sprinkle the vegetables with the salt and mix together with your hands. Taste and add salt if necessary. Now squeeze and massage the vegetables to release their natural juices, once they release like a damp sponge pack them into a jar or crock. Line the top with the cabbage leaves and press the vegetables down using a plate with a weight on top (or crock weights if you have them) you want the vegetables submerged under the brine. Cover the top with a thin towel to keep bugs out. Let the kraut ferment in a room temperature area, it will go faster the warmer it is. After three days give it a taste, if you like the flavor refrigerate and enjoy. If you want a stronger more acidic flavor keep fermenting until the kraut is more to your liking.
Directions for Bratwursts
1. Prick bratwurst with fork to prevent them from exploding as they cook. Place in a large stock pot with the onions,beer, and pepper. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
3. Lightly oil grate. Cook bratwurst on preheated grill for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly.