- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 12 oz. jar maraschino cherries, stained, stemmed, and pitted
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, or by hand, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add whole cherries, almond extract, vanilla extract, and salt.
3. Mix thoroughly.
4. Fold in flour and mix until it forms a crumbly but moist dough.
5. Lay a 16-inch sheet of parchment paper onto the counter.
6. Sprinkle 1 cup coconut on the center in a loose rectangle shape, making sure it does not reach the edge of the parchment.
7. Place cookie dough on top, flattening a bit with fingers, and sprinkle remaining coconut over the top of the dough.
8. Form the dough into a 12-14 inch log, about 3 inches thick.
9. Evenly press the coconut around the log and roll to make the log an even cylinder.
10. Roll the parchment up with the dough inside and twist
11. Unroll and slice the cookies ½ an inch think with sharp or aerated knife to cut through the cherry bits.
12. Place on a lined cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees