Ingredients for Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
Ingredients for Frosting and Decoration
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- Red gel food coloring
- 3 chocolate wafer cookies (we used Nabisco Famous Wafers)
- Cornstarch, for the surface
- White fondant
- Gold food coloring spray
- Black fondant
1. Make cake: Bake a 9-by-13-inch cake according to the package directions. One cool transfer to a serving platter.
2. Make frosting and decorate: Beat butter and cream cheese on low speed with an electric mixer until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium and gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Transfer 1 cup frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large flat tip. Tint remaining frosting red and use to frost sides and top of cake. Refrigerate until no longer tacky, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Pipe a 3-inch wide strip down the center of the cake lengthwise with white frosting. Place 2 wafer cookies on top half and 1 on bottom half for buttons.
5. Lightly dust a work surface with cornstarch and roll out white fondant. Cut into a 3-inch square. Using a small square cookie cutter or paring knife, cut out center to make a belt buckle. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and spray with gold spray; let dry, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Roll black fondant into a 9-by-3-inch rectangle and place on cake between the buttons. Top with belt buckle.
Visit Hallmark.Country.Living.com to sign-up for a one year subscription to Country Living Magazine for only $5.