Chef Craig Strong is making a delicious chicken dish and pairing the meal with flavorful vegetables.
Rosemary Braised Chicken with Spring Vegetables
Lunch , Dinner
For Rosemary Braised Chicken
- 1 chicken
- 1 large onion 2” julienned
- 15 cloves garlic whole peeled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 8 sprigs rosemary
- fresh bay leaves
- 1 bottle white wine
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 cups pee wee potatoes cut in ½
- Egg wash mixture:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
For Sealing Dough
- 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 tbsp flour for dusting table
For Spring Vegetables
- 2 cups blanched sugar snap peas
- 1 cup pea tendrils
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp finely minced chives
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Edible flowers for garnishing like violas
Rosemary Braised Chicken:
- Break down chicken into breast, thigh, drumstick.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a medium enamel coated cast iron pot heat butter and oil on medium high heat until butter browns. Add chicken skin side down and brown.
- Turn and brown other side.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add onions, garlic to pot and cover to cook until tender, 7-10 min. Add white wine, sherry vinegar simmer to reduce liquid by 50%.
- Add rosemary, bay leaf then return chicken and top chicken with slices of lemon. Add potatoes.
- Dust table with flour and roll dough onto a 1” rope shape and press onto edge of pot.
- Place lid onto dough and seal dough to the edges.
- Brush with egg wash mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 400⁰ for 1 hour.
- Break off crust and lift lid.
- In mixer with dough hook add water to bowl then cover with flour and mix on low speed 5 min to form smooth dough.
- Let rest 15 min.
- Warm sugar snap peas and tomatoes in oil and season with salt and pepper. Finish with chives and garnish with pea tendrils and edible flowers.