Rosanna Pansino's donut shaped cake is flavored to taste like an old-fashioned donut.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Batch Swiss Buttercream Frosting
- Food Coloring: Brown And Pink
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Two 8-inch ring pans
- #12 decorating tip
Rosanna Pansino's Giant Donut Cake - Home & Family
- Preheat the oven to 325f. Grease two 8-inch ring pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet mixture. Stir just until no dry streaks of flour remain (do not overmix).
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Level off the top of each cake with a cake leveler or a large serrated knife.
Time to Decorate:
- Make the swiss buttercream frosting. Divide it between 2 bowls. Tint one bowl light brown and the other pink.
- Stack the cakes leveled side together, with a thin layer of brown frosting in between, to form a donut. Frost the entire cake with light brown frosting.
- Scoop the pink frosting into a decorating bag fitter with a #12 top. Pipe a wavy donut glace outline around the top of the cake and fill. Use a spatula to smooth.
- Top with rainbow sprinkles.