- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 ripe bananas, each cut crosswise into 6 slices
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups minced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons refrigerated garlic paste (from tube)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups shredded 10-Hour Pot Roast (page 149)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups jarred roasted sliced red bell peppers
- 1 (5-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 dashes of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- ¾ cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 cups microwavable jasmine rice (from pouch), microwaved according to package directions
- Refrigerated chili paste (from tube), for serving
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Step 1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over high. Add the banana slices, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the banana slices to a plate; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon each of the cumin and salt.
Step 2. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the onions to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic paste, tomato paste, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon each cumin and salt; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Step 3. Add the shredded pot roast, chicken stock, roasted red peppers. Tomato sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce. Increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in the olives. Serve the stew over the rice with the bananas and a spoonful of chili paste on the side. Sprinkle each serving with the cilantro.