- 8-9 bundles of organic kale and collard greens. (more collard than kale; a 3-1 ratio of collard to kale)
- 2 medium sized white onions
- 7- 34oz boxes of BEEF BROTH (the ones that come in a rectangular shaped box, such as Swanson or any brand found in the soup aisle)
- 1- package of Garlic cloves (already peeled)
- 2- packages of ham hocks or ham shanks. (Usually 2-3 come in each package; the bigger, the better.)
- Cumin (seasoning)
- Kosher Salt
- Ground pepper
1. Lay collard greens on top of each other, (no more then 4 at a time) roll and then cut in half with a knife.
2. Cut even smaller if you have large leaves.
3. Cook on medium heat until done, obtaining as much bacon grease as possible.
4. Add the broth to the stock pot and bring to a boil.
5.Now add the 1/2 of the chopped onion, ham hock, pepper and salt to taste.
6. Let mixture boil for 10 minutes.
7. Add the collard greens, kale, garlic, cumin other half of the onions and more salt and pepper to taste if desired to the stock pot.
8. Rapidly boil for 45 minutes.
9. Reduce heat and let simmer for 4-6 hours.
Watch Rockmond on "Sons of Anarchy" when it returns for its 6th season this coming September. Don't forget to check out his film, "
Pastor Brown," on Lifetime starting February 16th.