Rocco DiSpirito shows how to make a guilt-free Lasagna Bolognese.
Rocco DiSpirito’s Lasagna Bolognese
- ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz 96% lean ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 ½ cups no fat, sodium, or sugar added chopped tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini, about 1 pound, cut lengthwise into ribbons 1/8 in thick to make 8 oz of ribbons
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 ½ tbsp arrowroot
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 4 oz, no boil lasagna, such as barilla
- Large nonstick skillet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Microwave-safe plate
- Small bowl
- Small saucepot
- Microwave-safe 8 x 8 x 4-inch dish
- Plastic wrap
- Serving ware
Rocco DiSpirito's Lasagna Bolognese - Home and Family
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the ground beef with salt and pepper, and once the oil is smoking, add the beef to the skillet. Brown the beef on one side about 2 minutes, then break it up with a spoon and add half the torn basil, followed by the chopped tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook about 1 minute. Set aside
- Stack the zucchini in 4 equal piles, place each pile on a microwave-safe plate, and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Flip each stack over and cook on high for another minute, then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk to a small bowl and mix with the arrowroot. Add the remaining milk to a small saucepot and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add the arrowroot mixture and whisk until thickened, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano and whisk into the sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Spoon a thin layer of Bolognese sauce onto the bottom of a microwave-safe 8x9x4-inch dish, then place two lasagna sheets over the top, pressing down on the sheets until they break and natural fit in the bottom of the dish. Add a thin layer of Bolognese, then drizzle a thin layer of the white sauce on top. Place a third of the remaining basil leaves over that layer, then add a layer of zucchini ribbons on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the previous layering sequence. Fill in any bare spots with half a sheet of pasta, breaking into pieces where necessary.
- Place the last 2 remaining lasagna sheets on top and spoon the remaining Bolognese over that; then cover with a final layer of zucchini and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with remaining white sauce, then sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano over the entire surface of the lasagna.
- Tightly cover the dish with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave on high until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and broil until brown, about 1 minute. Remove the lasagna from the broiler and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 equal pieces.