- 32 ripe plum tomatoes
- 16 peeled cloves of garlic
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of half and half
1. Preheat oven: 350-400 Degrees
2. Wash and dry your tomatoes, cut them in half lengthwise and arrange them on baking sheets, along with the cloves of garlic distributed evenly between 2 baking sheets.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Toss tomatoes and garlic together to ensure they are all lightly coated in oil.
4. Put the baking sheets in the oven and roast until cloves of garlic are softened. approximately 35-45 minutes.
5. Take out of oven, allow tomatoes to cool for a bit on the baking sheet.
6. When tomatoes are cooled, peel off the skin. With any remaining olive oil if any collect garlic cloves and lightly warm in a large soup pot, for added flavor.
7. Then, combine tomatoes and garlic to blender and puree, or combine both in the soup pot and use handheld emulsifier to puree tomatoes and garlic.
8. Add chicken stock and bring to a low boil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
9. Then, add half and half and bring to a boil again. Season salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe can be the base for different variations. Try Italian style or Mexican style:
FOR ITALIAN VERSION:
- sprinkle with parmigiano reggiano, crusty Italian bread and garnish with pesto or dried oregano. Also, can add cooked white cannellini beans when you add chicken stock.
FOR MEXICAN VERSION:
- Top with shredded Monterey jack or cheddar. Serve with tortilla chips and garnish with cilantro and jalapeno.