Ingredients for Burrito
- 4 Flour Tortillas, see recipe
- 1 cup Refried Black Beans, or good-quality canned refried beans, warmed
- 2 cups shredded Roast Achiote Citrus Chicken, see recipe, or leftover cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons Crema, creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 cups Cabbage Slaw, see recipe
- 1 cup Mexican cheeses, we like a mix of cotija, Mexican manchego, and panela cheeses
- 1 cup Chipotle Salsa, see recipe
- 2 cups BBQ potato chips
- 1/4 cup butter
Ingredients for Roast Achiote Citrus Chicken
- Achiote Citrus Marinade, see recipe
- 1 (3-pound) roasting chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1 head garlic
- 1 orange
Ingredients for Achiote Citrus Marinade (Makes 1 1/2 cups, enough for 1 roasting chicken or 1 1/2 pounds chicken legs and thighs)
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup achiote paste*
- 2 to 3 jalapeno chiles, stemmed and seeded if desired
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
Ingredients for Cabbage Slaw
- 3/4 cup green cabbage, shaved
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinaigrette (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon salsa fresca
- 2 tablespoons roasted corn
- Mix all ingredients together.
Ingredients for Chipotle Salsa
- 1 1/2 ounces dried chipotle chiles, stemmed or 1 cup canned chipotle chiles, stemmed
- 3 ripe Italian Roma tomatoes, cored
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1/4 cup Black Pepper (Whole)
Directions for Burrito
Spread the tortillas on a counter. Spread each with a strip of warm black beans down the center. Top with the chicken (warmed), crema, avocado, Cabbage Slaw, Mexican cheeses, Chipotle Salsa, and BBQ potato chips. Fold the bottom quarter of each tortilla up and then roll from the side into a cylinder. In a medium hot pan, melt the butter and place the burrito in the pan, folded side down, and toast until golden brown on each side.
Directions for Chicken
Rub the marinade all over the chicken, inside and out. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Lift the chicken from the marinade and place on a work surface. Cut the onion, head of garlic and orange in half and stuff inside the chicken's cavity. Tie the legs together and place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side down.
Roast 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 F and roast 20 minutes longer. Turn the chicken, breast side up, and bake 40 to 50 minutes longer, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until a drumstick feels loose when jiggled and the skin is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with rice and beans.
Directions for Marinade
Combine 1/3 cup of the orange juice, the achiote paste, jalapenos, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a blender or food processor. Puree until the peppercorns are completely crushed. Add the cilantro and the remaining 1/3 cup orange juice and puree until smooth.
* Achiote paste is a bright orange seasoning paste from the Yucatan made of ground annatto seeds, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and cloves. It is often thinned with vinegar or citrus juices for marinades and sauces and should always be cooked first to remove any chalkiness. This is what produces the bright orange color often found in Mexican food, so be sure to wash off any utensils that touch it or they just might remain orange. The paste is sold in bricks in Mexican markets and can be kept well wrapped in the refrigerator for a long time.
Directions for Salsa
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, about 20 minutes. The liquid should be reduced by one third and the tomato skins should be falling off. Set aside to cool.
Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Puree until smooth and then pass through a strainer. Serve chilled.
Directions for Vinaigrette
Place all ingredients, except for olive oil, in blender and puree until smooth.
With blender running, slowly pour in olive oil until emulsified.