Homemade Homemade Ricotta
- 4 c whole milk
- ½ c heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 c buttermilk
Ingredients for Ricotta Semifreddo
- Line a 10 x 3 cake pan with cooking spray or butter and parchment, and set aside.
- ¾ C sugar
- ¼ C water
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 3 C heavy cream
- 1 C crème fraiche or sour cream
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 lemons, zested with a microplane
Ingredients for Mincemeat
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 black peppercorns
- 1 nutmeg grated
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 4 C mixed dried fruit, finely chopped
- ½ C candied citrus peels, minced
- pinch of fine sea salt
- whisky to cover
Ingredients for Amaretti Cookies
- 12 ounces (2 ½ C) whole, skin-on almonds, toasted & finely ground
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 C granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons Amaretto liquor
Directions for Homemade Ricotta
1. Place all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and bring to a scald over medium heat.
2. Whisk, and allow the mixture to separate into curds.
3. Cool to room temperature in the pot.
4. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer, and allow the cheese to drain in the refrigerator overnight.
Directions for Ricotta Semifreddo
1) Whip the cream and crème fraiche to soft peaks, and set aside in a large bowl in the refrigerator. Whip the egg yolks, salt and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Bring the sugar and water to a boil and boil until thick and bubbling (220f on a candy thermometer.) Pour the sugar syrup into the whipping eggs, avoiding the whip, and continue to whip on high speed until fluffy and cooled to room temperature. Whisk the ricotta & lemon zest into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the whipped cream mixture. Pour the semifreddo into the prepared pan, wrap with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight. To serve, unmold using a blowtorch, the gas burner of a stove, or dipping the pan in very hot water for a few seconds.
Directions for Amaretti Cookies
In a large bowl, whisk the ground almonds with the cornstarch and powdered sugar. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase the mixer to high, and add the granulated sugar. Whip to stiff glossy peaks. Fold the meringue into the almond mixture. Fold in the extract and liquor. Pipe into 2 inch rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350f for about 20-30 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool completely to crisp the cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Cookies may be baked less for chewy amaretti.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page