- 2 pounds medium size Bermuda/Spanish or brown onions, brown onions (4 medium-large)
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry
- ¼ cup pimentos chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/8 pound of butter (~4 tablespoons)
- 2 tbsp, heaping, flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 sleeves of saltine crackers
- 1 tsp – tbsp paprika (can add as much as you want)
- 4 – 6 cups cheddar cheese
1. Peel onions and quarter. If they’re large, cut them into eighths. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Drain juice and add celery, sherry, pimentos and mushrooms.
2. Melt 1/8 pound butter in a saucepan and slowly blend in tbsp ( heaping) flour. Add cream and milk slowly and cook over medium heat with mixture thickening. Combine cream sauce & onion mixture.
3. Put a layer of mixture on bottom of buttered 2.5 or 3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle crushed cracker crumbs over top, dot liberally with cheddar cheese. Continue to build up casserole dish with additional layers. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake for 1 hour at 325* . Lid on for half 30 min. Time/off 30 min.