- 1 package Red Velvet cake mix, use your favorite brand (I prefer Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for Filling
- 1, 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 sticks of salted butter, room temperature
- 1 lb of confectioners’ sugar/powdered sugar, sifted
- 1, 7oz container of marshmallow (Fluff)
Ingredients for Simple Meringue Buttercream
- 1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 2 lbs butter, room temp
- 2 tbs vanilla
Preheat oven to 350
Prepare baking sheets with parchment and spray with a cooking spray
This recipe starts off with a basic red velvet box mix, making it an easy recipe for all to follow.
1. Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined and there are no lumps.
2. Add in your liquid ingredients into your dry ingredients and beat together until well combine but do not over mix…. about 1 to 2 minutes on a medium to slow speed.
3. Using an ice cream/cookie scoop (this creates even whoopee bases), scoop your batter onto parchment lined cookie sheet, making sure you leave enough room for spread, about 2” apart.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees check for doneness. either using a toothpick or by touch the little cakes so be cooked through but not over baked. (it may need a total of 15 minutes).
5. Remove from oven let settle for one minute then place little cake bases onto a cooling rack until completely cooled.
*scoop any even amount of the little cake bases as these well be sandwiched together to create the whoopie pies.
*Make filling first so it has time to firm up a bit before piping into the centers.
FILLING FOR WHOOPIES:
They are a couple of different directions you can go with the filling some use buttercream and some use a marshmallow cream. Since these are a red velvet whoopie I have chosen to do a combination and add cream cheese into the mix.
1 recipe of Simple Meringue Buttercream, this is used to firm up consistency if needed
1. In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese until soft, then add in the butter to combine.
2. Add in sifted powder sugar, beat until combined.
3. Add in Marshmallow, beat until combined.
4. Store in refrigerator until ready to use, this allows for the filling to set up a bit.
5. If filling seems to soft you can fold in small amounts of the Simple Meringue Buttercream to firm up the filling.
Piping or Scoop filling onto the baked side (the flat side) of one cake bases and then sandwich another on top.
The size scoop you use will determine the amount of whoopsies pies you will be able to create.
Filling alternative if you choose to go the all buttercream route….
SIMPLE MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM:
1. Using a stand mixer, combine pasteurized egg whites and powdered into mixing bowl, beat with a paddle for 4 minutes.
2. Scrape down the sides. Now add in room temperature butter all at once and beat with the paddle for 10 minutes, or until light and fluffy.