- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1.5 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 1 32-ounce container of vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- ½ cup honey
- kosher salt & pepper, to taste
- roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
1. In a medium-large stock pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the apple, spices and pumpkin puree, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, then add the vegetable broth, water and fresh thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the apple pieces are very tender.
3. Turn the stove off and use a handheld immersion blender to puree the soup. You can also use a blender or food processor to puree the soup in 2-3 batches.
4. Stir the heavy cream and honey into the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in soup bowls and garnish with thyme, drizzle of heavy cream and roasted pumpkin seeds