- 2 ¼ lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 1 ½ Cups Sifted Flour
- ½ Cup Parmigiano Cheese (Grated)
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 2 Medium Eggs
- ¼ cup Pumpkin Pureé
Ingredients for Amaretto Butter, Toasted Hazelnuts Sauce
- 2 sticks Butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Amaretto
- 1 tbsp Sage, chopped
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
Makes approximately 8 – 10 servings (Approximately 125 gnocchi)
1. Boil Potatoes until tender.
2. While hot, strain, peel and put through the ricer.
3. Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
4. On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
5. Add sifted flour, parmigiano, salt & pepper.
6. Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs and pumpkin pureé into hole.
7. Working from the eggs out, begin mixing eggs and pumpkin with potato until well blended.
8. Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
9. Roll dough into 2 foot long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
10. Cut into ½ inch pieces.
11. Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
12. Cover and Freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen up to one month.)
1. Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover and cook until water returns to a boil.
2. Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begin to float. Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce (recipe below), serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.
3. Serve 10 gnocchi as appetizer or 20 gnocchi as an entrée.
Amaretto Butter, Toasted Hazelnuts Sauce
1. Allow the butter to come to room temperature on the counter (this should take about an hour).
2. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl.
3. Mix together in a mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes.
4. Lay the mixture on plastic wrap or parchment paper. Roll tightly into a log.
5. Use immediately or freeze for future use.
1. Toast whole hazelnuts (cracked) in a 350 degree oven until golden (about 5 minutes). Remove and set aside.
2. In a large nonstick pan, over medium heat, combine ¼ of total of the prepared butter with the gnocchi. Slow braise until butter is melted.
3. Add the remaining butter and ½ cup of pasta water until all is mixed well.
4. Divide gnocchi evenly into 8 shallow bowls or plates with a raised rim. Sprinkle with warm, toasted hazelnuts and shaved parmigiano.
5. Serve immediately.