Ingredients for Streusel
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened (I like Earth Balance buttery sticks)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 15 oz can unsweetened pumpkin puree (I like Libby’s)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (use a microplane and whole nutmeg if possible)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese (I like the Trader Joe’s one)
- 1 cup walnut pieces, unsalted & toasted
Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 6.5” x 3” x 2” disposable baking pans. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl.
In a small bowl combine the flax meal and water and mix with a spoon. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow this vegan “egg” mixture to thicken.
Next, add the lemon juice to the almond milk and allow to curdle. This will take a few minutes.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the pumpkin puree, salt, and spices until it has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir constantly so it doesn’t burn. Add the puree to a bowl with the sugars, oil, and cream cheese and let stand for a few minutes. Whisk together until fully combined.
Whisk the flax egg with the almond milk and gently combine this with the pumpkin mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and lastly, add the walnuts. Spoon into the prepared pans and sprinkle with the streusel topping.
Bake for about 45 - 55 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the loaves cool until packing up to give to friends and family (or keep them for yourself!).
Makes 3 loaves