Ingredients for Dumplings (4-6 servings)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 6 small turnips, quartered
- 6 small radishes, halved
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped, for garnish
TO MAKE THE DUMPLINGS:
1. Fill a large soup pot or wide Dutch oven about half full of water and bring it to a boil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, cheese, chives, and flour. Use your hands to knead everything together until it forms a stiff dough.
3. Roll the dough into a long tube, about 2 inches thick. Cut dough into 1-inch disks.
4. When water is boiling, gently drop dumplings one at a time into boiling water. Do not crowd the pot. Only add enough dumplings at a time to make a single layer. The dumplings will all sink to the bottom.
5. Bring the water back to a rolling boil and then turn down a little to simmer.
6. The dumplings will begin to float as they are done. Let them continue to cook for about 5 minutes after they float.
7. Remove the finished dumplings from water with a slotted spoon and place them in a colander to drain. Set the finished dumplings aside and bring the water back to a boil to cook the rest of the dumplings. Continue this process in single dumpling layers until all of the dumplings are cooked.
TO MAKE THE BROTH:
1. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and cook until the shallot starts to turn translucent. Add the turnips and radishes and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Pour the broth into the pan and turn the heat up to high. Bring the broth to a boil and immediately remove it from the heat. Stir in salt and pepper for flavor.
3. To serve, use individual wide shallow bowls. Use a slotted spoon to evenly divide the vegetables from the broth mixture to the bottom of each bowl. Place a dumpling or two in each bowl on top of the vegetables, then use a ladle to spoon broth over the dumpling and vegetables. Garnish with the chopped green onions and serve immediately.