- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced, pale green and white parts only
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plum sauce, preferably hoisin sauce
- 3 morita chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 3-pound boneless pork butt/shoulder, cut into 3 pieces and excess fat removed
- Corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Preheat olive oil in a medium heavy pot. Add celery, carrots, and leeks and sauté until caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, plum sauce, and morita chiles and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let cool completely. Transfer ingredients to blender and add apple cider vinegar. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Meanwhile season pork on both sides with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/2 tablespoon pepper. Transfer pork to the bowl of a slow cooker and pour morita-plum sauce over. Cook on high for 5 hours, or until fork-tender.
Serve with warm corn tortillas, lime wedges and cilantro for tacos.
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page